After listening to and comparing each song within the 'Possible Song Choices Table'. We decided to use the song 'Like the Dawn' by The Oh Hellos:
http://theohhellos.com/track/like-the-dawn
We decided upon this song because of the structure and varying dynamics, particularly within the instrumental. We felt that the instrumental, and overall genre (acoustic) of the piece expressed a lot of movement and emotion, which can be easily reflected and interpreted visually. As well as this the singers voice was a strong persuasion; we felt, that as the directors, we could relate more to the female voice, not only presenting more obvious storyline ( a female protagonist) but also possibly targeting a (female) audience similar to our own preferences, in consideration to the genre audience.
In terms of Post Production, this song persuaded our choice in the sense that the tempo gives us the chances to experiment with quick cuts, as well as slow motion, dissolves and possibly, reverse.
Any logistical problems can also be easily overcome with this song. For example, although the song itself is too long, there are various natural breaks within the structure, to which we can easily cut the song. Also, the band are American. However the genre and culture of acoustic/folk is widely appreciated within British culture (such as Mumford and Sons) and has a style which is not significant to Texas, America.
Lyrics:
I was sleeping in the garden when I saw you first
he'd put me deep, deep under so that he could work
and like the dawn you broke the dark and my whole earth shook
I was sleeping in the garden when I saw you
at last, at last
bones of my bones and flesh of my flesh, at last
you were the brightest shade of sun I had ever seen
your skin was gilded with the gold of the richest kings
and like the dawn you woke the world inside of me
you were the brightest shade of sun when I saw you
and you will surely be the death of me
but how could I have known?
No comments:
Post a Comment